Tuesday, March 27, 2012

convert a database from SQL6.5 to SQL2000

I have the same question that was asked last week by
another user but never answered. The question was...
"If I convert a database from SQL6.5 to SQL2000 will I
need to increase the size of the database in SQL2000? Is
SQL2000 more space hungry than SQL6.5?
I know that if I do an inplace upgrade I need to reserve
extra space but once the upgrade is done will space
requirements be the same?"The space requirement will be heavily dependent on the database design. In
SQL Server 6.5, columns declared as CHAR (50) NULL, if they did contain a
NULL,
essentially took very little space. In SQL Server 2k, such columns take up
50
bytes regardless of the data value in the column. If your applications have
many
tables with many such columns, the size of the database might well be
significantly larger. In general, however, SQL Server 2k utilizes disk space
more efficiently, so most databases do not grow, and frequently shrink, in
size.
--
HTH
Ryan Waight, MCDBA, MCSE
"Sarah Roberts" <robertss@.unknown.com> wrote in message
news:a11401c380a7$db3bd0d0$a601280a@.phx.gbl...
> I have the same question that was asked last week by
> another user but never answered. The question was...
> "If I convert a database from SQL6.5 to SQL2000 will I
> need to increase the size of the database in SQL2000? Is
> SQL2000 more space hungry than SQL6.5?
> I know that if I do an inplace upgrade I need to reserve
> extra space but once the upgrade is done will space
> requirements be the same?"
>|||Hello
> "If I convert a database from SQL6.5 to SQL2000 will I
> need to increase the size of the database in SQL2000? Is
> SQL2000 more space hungry than SQL6.5?
As far as I remember, after converting database from 6.5
format to 7.0 (I don't think that version 2000 differs from 7.0
therein) my database became 20-25% smaller.
Serge Shakhov

No comments:

Post a Comment