Sunday, March 25, 2012

Conversion Problem

I want convert a mysql database in SQL Server 2000. SQL Server forecastes
the possibility to view graphically the relationship between all tables
containing in my database with relative structure by graphic.
About mysql i don't know as actes.
Thanks and i'm sorry for my probable encorrected english but i'm italian boyernix (@.*.it) writes:
> I want convert a mysql database in SQL Server 2000. SQL Server forecastes
> the possibility to view graphically the relationship between all tables
> containing in my database with relative structure by graphic.
> About mysql i don't know as actes.

I'm a little uncertain what you are really asking about. But it is true
that in Enterprise Manager includes a simple diagram feature. However,
this is not an integral part of SQL Server, and there are third power
modelling tools which are much more powerful in this regard. These tools
covers all major RDBMS's, although I don't know about how well MySQL is
supported. The major tools in this area are ErWin (Computer Associaties),
PowerDesigner (Sybase) and Embrocadero (I think their product is called
DataArtisan.) There are also freeware tools in this area, although I don't
have any names.

If you are considering a move only because of the graphic diagram in
Enterprise Manager, frankly, I don't consider this worth the effort.
There might be other and better reasons to make the change, but switching
from one DB engine to another is nothing you do lightly, because of
difference in language and mindset.

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, sommar@.algonet.se

Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techin.../2000/books.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment